Friday, October 9, 2009

Wait time . . .

What I'm doing: just finished up Movie Night with my boys featuring Wall-E, candy, and chocolate milk
What I'm reading right now: Big Bad Wolf by Christine Warren (it's a good one!)
What I'm thinking about: the long wait ahead of me

Staci and I got our official release date for FALLEN.  It's set to be out November 2010, just a little over a year from now.  People keep asking us when our book is coming out, and they are always surprised when we tell them that it won't be out until late 2010.  I don't think a lot of people realize how long this process takes.  We submitted FALLEN to Mundania last October and didn't get an offer until May.  Does it usually take that long?  I think it depends on the publishing house, but I don't think it's all that unusual.  If we had found an agent, which we were trying to do, it may have taken the agent several months to find a publishing house that wanted to buy the book.  So once your novel is complete, it will most likely take several months to find an agent and then who knows how many more months for the agent to find a home for the book.  Then it's another year to year and a half for the book to come out.  I'm thinking unless you're the next Dan Brown or Stephenie Meyer, your going to be waiting a couple of years to see your book in print.  Nothing happens over night.

So, this got me thinking.  Staci and I have written about 14 chapters of our next novel STATIC.  If it takes us 6-9 more months (maybe a year) to finish it, we will probably be looking for an agent or a publisher for it right about the time FALLEN comes out.  Maybe.  Then it could take several months to find someone interested in representing STATIC.  Hopefully, someone will love it.  Keep your fingers crossed.  Then we are looking at another year to year and a half before it will be released.  That means that our second novel might not come out until like 2+ years after FALLEN is released.  That kind of sucks, you know.  It would be really nice if you could just snap your fingers and have everything fall into place.  But, it's a waiting game.  I guess I better get used to waiting.

For now, I'm going to be thankful that Mundania Press loved FALLEN and that I will actually get to see my name on the cover of a novel one day in the future.  There were many times that I thought it would never happen.  And, I'm going to sit back and hope that Staci and I are lucky enough to see STATIC in print as well.  Even if we have to wait :)

Cheers!

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment